Sunday, November 22, 2009

blah blah blah

I have been thinking a lot about church callings lately. Our ward boundaries were recently realigned and we found ourselves in a new ward with new people and new callings. Mike has been called to be Ward Mission Leader. He is in charge of reactivating members, missionary work within the ward, and team-teaching Gospel Essentials. He is feeling the spirit of the work and is excited (although he finds it daunting.) I was called as Primary Pianist - which was my calling before the split. I have been doing it for quite a while and was ready for a change.....Then, a week later, Brother Moss calls me into his office. He extended the call for me to be Ward Choir Director, as well as Primary Pianist. I completely lost it. I wept and cried and wept some more. I felt this calling coming for quite a while and was resisting it with every fiber of my being. It scares me to death! Poor Brother Moss didn't quite know what to do! He gave me a Priesthood blessing and I felt a little better. We just finished our second choir rehearsal, and I have had a change of heart towards my calling. I love my ward choir! We had over 20 people come this morning! I feel inadequate and very lacking in my directorial skills, but I am grateful for the challenge to grow and learn and progress. Also, I am in charge of the Christmas program for our Sacrament Meeting. Scary! I am grateful that the Lord sees potential in me that I don't see in myself. I am learning that sometimes its necessary to step out of our comfort zone to learn faith, reliance on the Lord, humility and the importance of hard work! Hope I didn't bore you to death, those are just the thoughts running through my mind lately.

5 comments:

Shana said...

You'll do great Emily!!!!

Rachel Ure said...

i got to the point where i wouldn't tell my new bishop i enjoyed singing- i was choir director 3 times! glad that lots of people are coming to your practices- it is way easier when you have some willingness. good luck with christmas,program

Kendra said...

As we drove to church today I saw all the cars at your house. I'm so glad you got a good crowd. I might have to sneak over to see your Christmas program. I hope you have yourself singing a solo! :)

Sara said...

do you want a copy of the program I wrote for our christmas program? i hear ya about being intimidated by a calling. i'm now the ward music chairman and feel like i am in way over my head!

Susanna said...

Good luck! You will be great!