We just returned from an afternoon at Primary Children's Medical Center. Lauren had an endoscopy to test her for Celiac Disease. She had to fast since dinner last night, and did NOT enjoy that! Our trip started out with a visit with the child-life-specialist, Laura. She was great! She gave Lauren a "buddy" doll to color and hold. (Lauren named her Laura.) Next, Lauren was able to pick out what flavor of "funny gas" she wanted. She took this job very seriously and finally decided on Cotton Candy. After visiting with her doctor and her anesthesiologist, Lauren snuggled up in her hospital bed to wait for her procedure....she was excited! I was able to go in with her and hold her hand until she was asleep. I had never done that before and was surprised with the crazy thrashing she did while she was heading into blissful unconsciousness! The procedure was very short and went well. They put a camera down her throat and took pics of her esophogus, stomach, intestines and bowels. They also did some biopsies of a bunch of internal stuff.....I'm really not very good with the whole medical lingo, am I?! Mike and I went in as she was waking up from the anesthesia and it was sad/funny. She was sooo loopy and disoriented. But she came out quickly and downed 2 slushees and some crackers so we were able to take her right home. For her, the best part was being pushed to the car in a wheelchair! She thought she was HOT STUFF!! We'll find out her results on Friday....

6 comments:
She is such a trooper! I hope they figure out how to help her feel better. Can't wait to hear what they say.
Good job Laursie! You survived another hospital visit! I told the child life person on my floor to let Laura know she did a good job.
Let us know the update! I bet that was hard, but she sure is a tough girl isn't she?!
Been waiting for this post. I'm glad that she was good for it! Be sure to let us all know on Friday, pretty please?
A wheelchair?!?! That is cool Laursie. :) I'm glad that it went well. I was thinking about you all day on Tuesday.
I helped in Mrs. Gold's class yesterday and she told me all about it. I have celiac. If she ends up having it, I am very well educated on food, restaurants, stores etc... Hopefully she doesn't have it, but it is also nice to know what is bothering her. ♥♥♥ to her and you!!
Post a Comment