Friday, November 06, 2009

we all scream for ice cream!

.......the results are in. Dr. Harnsburger just called and said, "Go get a paper and a pencil, I have a lot of stuff to tell you and it's quite dramatic." She said that Lauren does not have Celiac! But, she has a really severe allergy to lactose. Normal people have a lactase level of over 24 - most are between 70 and 80. Lauren is at 2.7! Her doctor said Lauren is the most severely lactose intolerant person she has ever scoped! Her body does not digest lactose, so it ferments in her intestines which has caused extreme bacteria overgrowth. She needs to take an antibiotic to kill all the bacteria and then it's a 100% lactose free diet! No milk, ice cream, cheese......not to mention lots of baked goods (anything made with dry milk, sweetened condensed milk, cream...)
She also mentioned that this is not something that you can "fix" and it won't go away with time. This is just the way she is and will always be. Hmmmm. All things considered, I think this is very do-able and I'm so excited for her to be healthy and happy!!!

7 comments:

Jen said...

My dad is lactose-intolerant and has been for years. He has been able to adapt well and they have quite a few lactose-free foods such as ice-cream etc...

Good Luck!

Diane said...

Wow! I'm so glad that they found out what it is! I know it's be hard for her at times, but the diet for Celiac's disease seems like it would be harder.

Susanna said...

So it's Soy to the rescue! We will all have to read labels and become educated on knowing what is and what is not allowed. I wonder if I have it too???

Kendra said...

Very interesting! Do you think this is better than celiacs? Would the Lactaid products help? Poor girl with all that bacteria in her intestines. That can't feel good!

Anna said...

Oh emily! I'm a bad friend...I had no idea anything was wrong. I'm sorry! You have such a great attitude. Hang in there!

Anonymous said...

Whoa! The health roller-coaster continues! Soy is GREAT, once you get used to it (smile)! I'm so happy they figured out what the problem was. This will be a huge, positive impact on her happiness and health:)

Lenice said...

So glad you figured out what was wrong with her so she can feel better.